Monday, October 11, 2010

Road Trip

Some road trips are well planned, thought out affairs.  This is not one of those.  We had a family emergency and had to go.  The van needed new brakes which, of course, took more time and money than we wanted.  Lorelei didn't pack pants.  I forgot diapers for Eli.  This is all my way of saying that I forgot my camera cord and won't be posting pictures of our trip until we get home!  I'm impressed we remembered the phone charger (and you should be too!).  haha

It was a long LONG drive yesterday.  And for whatever reason it seems like the thing to talk about on these trips is past trips.  Oh, we have had adventures!  None of which I would like to ever repeat.  Here's an example:

My husband's grandmother had passed away and we made the four hour drive to attend her funeral a week or two before Thanksgiving.  We made arrangements for care for our oldest son, packed Lorelei (then 1 year old), and headed out in our less than reliable car.  Half-way through the trip the alternator went out.  And, being the broke people we were, we did not have a cell phone.  We flagged down a passing car, got a ride into town, and then my husband's uncle picked up our car.  After the funeral the alternator had been fixed and we made our way back home.  The return trip was just as fun.  Less than halfway home the heater went out.  It was well below 0 degrees and we were feeling a wee bit chilled.  We stopped at the local police station (which provided some blankets for us which we wrapped around Lorelei's car seat).  We then went to a local grocery store and purchased a three-wick candle.  We used this to keep the windshield defrosted during the ride home.  I can only imagine what the people in the cars that passed us thought.  I don't think I have ever been that cold.

Thankfully, this trip has been much less eventful.  We will be home soon and I will post pictures!

No comments: