Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Way-back Wednesday

I have been looking at bed sets for Eli.  I especially like this car bed:

Do you see the cool track for cars at the front of the bed?  Do you think there is a chance in hell that he would ever actually sleep?  ha!
Eli is obsessed with cars.  And with trains.  He loves Thomas.  I hate Thomas.  Thomas bores the crap out of me.  So, obviously, I am trying to encourage the love of cars.  (Pixar's Cars being the current favorite.)  But I really want me kids to love their rooms.  Or, at the very least, not hate them.

Growing up, my room looked like Strawberry Shortcake had thrown-up all over the place.  There was Strawberry Shortcake wallpaper.  Sheets.  And this weird ceramic Strawberry Shortcake plaque hanging on the wall.  I know that someone in the family (or perhaps of family friend) spent time making that plaque but it completely weirded me out.  And, despite my whining, my room stayed a Strawberry Shortcake heaven until I was 14 (I did remove the plaque and hid it in the storage room as soon as I was tall enough to reach it.).

There were so many other, cooler, things I would have rather had.  Remember She-ra?

I loved her!  I don't remember being bribed much as a child (I bribe my children constantly!) but I do remember the set of immunizations that led to me getting a She-ra doll.  I didn't cry so I got She-ra and her horse.  My five year old self was thrilled!

I also loved Jem & the Holograms.

Thankfully I never did my makeup like that!  Jem's look is 80's at its best (or worst).

What was your favorite cartoon as a kid?  And what do your kids watch that makes you cringe?  Please tell me there are some other Thomas the Tank Engine haters out there.



9 comments:

Emma said...

I don't have kids yet, but the few times I've watched kids TV, I'm shocked. The stuff the younger kids watch (the toddler/preschool shows) are like an acid trip. I've never done acid, but I'm pretty sure that those shows embody acid trips. I wouldn't want my kids watching those strange creatures (they aren't anything that I recognize as being animal) do strange things. I get creeped out just watching them.

Then for the older kids, you have a choice between shows where parents are bumbling idiots that the kids sneak around and continually outsmart or the shows that are trying to get 8 and 9 year olds into romantic relationships. Neither of which are appealing to me.

When I was a little kid, I watched David the Gnome, Eureka's Castle, The Elephant Show, Sesame Show, Mr. Rogers. As I grew up, I was allowed to watch less and less TV until the only show I watched was Legends of the Hidden Temple and, in the summer, I'd get to watch the old Looney Tunes that came on at like 9 or 10 pm as a treat.

Larri said...

You are so funny! LOL :o) I remember She-Ra and Jem. My favorite by far was, and still is, Tom & Jerry. I loathe SpongeBob...cannot stand his voice, his friends, his square pants. I don't get why it's funny. His language and crude jokes are offensive. Every once in a while my kids will try to sneak a peek and watch that vile show. Right now, the boys are into DragonBall Z. The only good thing to come of it is that the youngest wants to learn to speak Japanese.

As for decorating a room, we try to stick with generic 'boy' stuff instead of going with a character theme. Navy blues/burgandys/greens can all be interchanged with perhaps a character pillow thrown on the bed for interest. Good luck in your re-do! Thanks for the laugh this AM. :o)

deborah said...

My boys are 'grown' (or they seem to think that, anyway), so I've been through all of this. I did their rooms in denim and used character sheets. The car beds are fabulous, but they grow out of them so quickly. I like the rug that has a road on it and the boys can pretend to drive their cars on it. My favorite cartoon - The Jetsons! I do remember She-Ra and I can't believe you had to endure Strawberry Shortcake for all of those years. So glad it didn't cause any permanent damage :)))

Needled Mom said...

One of our grandsons has that bed and loves it. He is now too big for it, but refuses to give it up. It has passed down through the different grandkid's families for the boys and they have all enjoyed the bed. I say you should go for it.

Kat said...

HA! I'm glad I'm not the only one who needed to be bribed to get immunized. Legend has it, one year my dad (who was a doctor in the hospital we went to) heard me screaming bloody murder 2 floors below! I think I managed not to scream once, and I got a Bearenstien Bears book out of it.

I just finished a trains/planes/tractors/cars quilt, and I have a TON of train fabric left over. There are so many cool, funky, vintage fabrics out there! I think I used one square of Thomas because I had it, but the rest was other stuff. I'm working on a strictly trains quilt now, none of which is Thomas...it can be done!

Anonymous said...

My friends little boy has a bed like this and he sleeps well and absolutely loves it. I used to have a strawberry shortcakes quilt when I was little which I also loved so much.

Ducks and Rabbits said...

Too funny! I remember ALL those shows. My little sister was totally obsessed with Jem. And I loved Strawberry Shortcake, too. As for my favourite show? A bit older than cartoons, but I raced home from school every day to watch Degrassi Jr High. As for Thomas, I can't stand it either - especially on video or dvd - the episodes are so short that you hear the annoying theme song every few minutes. Luckily my son doesn't care for it that much. Although his Wiggles obsession does get a bit old!

Babs said...

Clearly we are close in age because I too thought that Jem was "Truly, truly, truly outrageous!" I can still hear the theme song in my head LOL. I'm with you about Thomas; luckily my daughter thinks that is a show that only comes on grandma's tv. Think I may dilike Max and Ruby equally! Ruby is a know-it-all and I can't stand Max's one word demands non-stop. UGH!!!!
I am in a similar bind right now with my daughters room which she will have to share with a new baby in February. I'm going the 'non-theme' route with coordinating quilts using Michael Millers Lagoon guitar and Far Out Floral. I looked for months for the perfect fabric. They're both fun
and they won't outgrow them so soon :)

Love your blog!
-Barb

Ange Moore said...

Oh your childhood bedroom sounds a lot like mine! And I used to love Jem and the Holograms. And Shera (Princess of Power) and Heman were Saturday morning stapels at our house!